Learn to See the World from a Different Perspective with Abroadee!
- 1 1. When and how did you think about starting Abroadee?
- 2 2. You have had the chance of taking part in many study abroad programs. Which was your favorite destination and program?
- 3 3. What type of accommodation did you choose while studying abroad? How was your experience?
- 4 4. What are the biggest challenges you have faced while living abroad?
- 5 5. Your language skills are amazing, what advice would you give to someone who is studying a foreign language?
- 6 6. And to someone who is moving abroad for first time?
Juliana Selem is a brazilian living in the US and in her blog Abroadee.com she writes about cultural differences, language speaking tips, etc from a funny and original point of view. She aims to transmit to her readers her fascination for the world and to encourage people to see the world from a different perspective.Her Youtube Channel is full of hilarious videos!
Juliana is a real inspiration for all of us who love traveling, keep reading to learn more about her blog and her experiences studying abroad!
1. When and how did you think about starting Abroadee?
I started Abroadee in 2013 as a way to share all the amazing experiences I’ve had while studying, working and living abroad. Studying abroad was a life-changing experience for me and that is why I’m so passionate about it. My blog’s motto is “see the world from a different perspective” and I believe traveling abroad is the best way to do that. I try to encourage people to explore other cultures and put themselves in other people’s shoes.
2. You have had the chance of taking part in many study abroad programs. Which was your favorite destination and program?
This is a very hard question to answer. I enjoyed all the programs, but my first study abroad program at a language school in Vancouver, Canada was the one that impacted my life the most and the one that made me fall in love with the world. I also met my husband during this program, so I have to pick this as my favorite one.
3. What type of accommodation did you choose while studying abroad? How was your experience?
I’ve stayed in all types of accommodation while abroad. In Canada and in Italy, I’ve stayed with host-families. In the U.S., I’ve stayed in apartments. In France, I’ve stayed at a hotel. All types of accommodation have their advantages and disadvantages. My least favorite one was the hotel. Homestay accommodations are great if you want to immerse in the culture and in the language you’re learning. Shared apartments are great if you want to have more freedom and meet other international students.
4. What are the biggest challenges you have faced while living abroad?
The biggest challenge is to feel home while abroad. The first couple of weeks are never easy because you’re getting used to the new language, the new food and the new environment. But once you start to understand the place and its people and start making friends, you begin to feel as if you had lived in that place for a long time. And, then, you feel like you don’t want to go back to your home country anymore (haha).
5. Your language skills are amazing, what advice would you give to someone who is studying a foreign language?
In my opinion, the first thing a person should do in order to learn a language is believe that he or she can learn it. I see so many people struggling to learn a new language because they don’t believe they can do it, they think it’s too hard or they think they’re too old to do it. So, first, one needs to have confidence in oneself. After that, one needs to be in contact with that language as much as possible by creating an immersion environment. So, a person who wants to learn English, for example, should be reading the news in English, listening to songs in English, practicing with a language partner online, and writing a diary in English.
6. And to someone who is moving abroad for first time?
Go for it. The world is friendlier than we think. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
We hope that you enjoyed the post!
If you're looking for accommodation, remember that in Beroomers we are willing to help you in more than 50 destinations worldwide.